Make way for Youth / Desjardins
The Place aux Jeunes program is a nation wide program that was implemented following the realization that the population was facing a youth exodus towards urban areas.
A huge factor of youth exodus in the Gaspésie is the fact that there is no university on the territory. The youth tend to leave the region to pursue their education. The problem we face is that the youth remain in the urban areas to work after completing their education. Therefore, the Gaspésie loses a considerable number of graduating youth each year whom, with their knowledge could be beneficial to the socio-economic development of the region.
To help influence and stop the exodus that is still very present, the Place aux Jeunes is accessible to all young graduated individuals who want to establish themselves in our region. Therefore, the migration officers' goal is to help the youth realize the potential that exists in their region by informing them of the potential business opportunities, the possibility of employment, the exceptional conditions of the quality of life in our region, etc. The expected result is that the youth will become aware that there is a possibility to realize their dreams and career projects in the Gaspésie. Place aux Jeunes offers various activities and services to assure that these concrete results are met.
Positively influence the migration of the young graduates by encouraging their return, their establishment and their settlement in our region.
- 18 - 35 years old (regular clientele);
- 14 - 17 years old (PAJ Ados).
- Make the youth aware of the regional development;
- Show the dynamism and the real potential of the region;
- Help the youth with their job market integration or starting a business;
- Allow the youth to build a solid network of contacts;
- Put the employers of the region and the young potential candidates in contact with one another;
- Publicize and circulate the available jobs in the Gaspésie;
- Offer a personalized service (follow-up, support, housing/rental search, integration);
- Make the general population aware of the problem of youth exodus and their potential role;
- Encourage exchanges between employers to become more aware of their employment needs.
- It is based on the concept of immersion in each of the MRC's of two to three weekends (usually in the winter), where 15 participants per MRC assist in conferences and workshops. All the participants' expenses are paid. Various themes are discussed in order to give the individuals the proper tools to help their integration on the job market of our region: financial aid for moving, individual meetings with potential employers, testimonies of newcomers, information on the cultural life, tourism and natural resources, Gaspésian economy, the job market, starting a business, future job sectors, etc. To summarize, the migration officers can provide the participants a portrait of our region to allow them to clearly understand it's potential.
Place aux Jeunes Ados
- The mission of Place aux jeunes Ados is to give the youths the opportunity to become aware of their region, to encourage its potential, to help the youth develop a sense of belonging and to prove to them the importance of education in the future fields of work in our region. The activities that are organized encourage youth to return to their region following their education.
For more information, do not hesitate to contact : Geneviève Plourde at 368-2121.